In this instalment of RB, things are feeling quite Greek! By coincidence, three of four recipes call Greece home – a soup, a tart and dessert. And all are full of rice, of course! To keep in line with numbers, there’s a fourth recipe by way of the zingy, zesty and spicy lemon cashew rice – a awesome complement to your curry of choice.
Recipe 19 – Avgolemono
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 500 gr chicken thighs (on bone)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
- 1 leek, cleaned and quartered
- 2/3 cup arborio rice
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- Place the chicken in a large pot and add enough water to cover the chicken. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cook for 25 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a separate pan over medium heat and add the onions. Cook the onions for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from the broth, allow to cool, then pull meat from bones in small, rough portions. Set aside.
- Add the bay leaves, carrot, leek and reserved onions to the broth and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the carrot and leek from the broth and add the rice. Bring to a boil, and then turn the heat to medium-high to simmer until the rice is cooked to al dente, about 15-20 minutes (or as per packet instructions for boiling method). Add the chicken back into the broth. Add more water if needed.
- In a bowl, beat the lemon juice and eggs together. Pour 2 cups of broth slowly into the bowl, whisking continuously. Once all the broth is incorporated, add the mixture into the pot of chicken soup and stir to blend well throughout. Add the salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Recipe 20 – Greek pumpkin and rice tart
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- ½ butternut pumpkin, diced into 2cm pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 slices prosciutto
- 6 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch dill, chopped
- 250 gr basmati rice
- 8 eggs
- 200 gr Greek feta
- 200 gr cherry tomatoes
- 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 200C. Coat pumpkin pieces with 2 tablespoons olive oil and roast for 30 minutes, or until they begin to brown. Set aside.
- Grease a 26cm, heavy-based, ovenproof frying pan. Place prosciutto slices, slightly overlapping, over base and side of pan, trimming to fit if necessary.
- Place half each of the onions and dill in a large bowl. Reserve remainder. Add rice and eggs to onion mixture, then crumble over three-quarters of the feta. Whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture into lined pan, then cook on stove over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Scatter pumpkin pieces over egg mixture, then crumble over remaining feta. Transfer to oven and cook for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make tomato salad, roughly chop tomatoes and place in a bowl with reserved onions and dill. Squeeze over juice from lemon, add remaining 2 tablespoons oil, then season. Gently toss to combine.
Recipe 21 – Greek rice pudding (serves 2)
- 500 ml milk, plus 1 tablespoon extra
- ¼ cup arborio rice
- 1 tablespoons caster sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon rosewater
- ½ teaspoon cornflour
- Spoonful of raspberry jam, to serve
- Crushed hazelnuts, to serve
- Place milk and rice in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until it comes to just below boiling point. Reduce the heat to low and gently cook, stirring occasionally, for 30-40 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Add the sugar, vanilla extract and rosewater to the rice, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Mix cornflour with the extra 1 tablespoon milk to form a smooth paste, then add to the rice and stir over low heat for 1-2 minutes until thickened.
- Divide the rice pudding among bowls or cups, then serve immediately, topped with jam and hazelnuts.
Recipe 22 – Lemon cashew rice (Serves 4 sides)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 12 fresh curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Add the garlic, turmeric, cumin, mustard seeds, curry leaves and chilli powder, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the rice and cook, stirring to coat, for 30 seconds.
- Add stock. Bring to the boil, cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 8-10 minutes. Set aside, covered, for 5 minutes to stand.
- Meanwhile, place cashews in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until golden. Coarsely chop.
- Transfer the rice mixture to a serving bowl. Stir in the lemon juice. Top with the toasted cashews to serve.