Here is a quiz I have put together for the news, events and entertainment of 2014. Feel free to take this quiz and share in your class, office, household… There are 23 general questions and 4 picture rounds (click on a picture round to enlarge it). Answers are posted below.
- January – Who was appointed the new Governer-General of Australia in January?
- January – Who is this?
2.1 Who did he beat in the Australian Open?
- February – The XXII Winter Olympic Games were held in which city and country?
- February – The current Ebola outbreak was first registered in February where?
- February – Who is this?
5.1 What was the name of the song that accompanied the Lego Movie?
- March – Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 disappeared when travelling from KL to what city?
Picture Round 1 – Name these 2014 albums and artists
- April – An estimated 276 girls and women were abducted and held hostage from a school in what country?
- May – What music video is the first to reach 2 billion views on YouTube?
- May – Who is this?
9.1 What Country is she from?
- June – In June, due to Coalition budget measures and funding cuts, the annual celebration of Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander achievement in music, sport, entertainment and community ceased. What was the name of this event?
- June – What world sporting event commenced on 12 June?
- July – And in that sporting event, Germany defeated Brazil to make it to the final match by a record final score of what?
- July – Who is this?
13.1 What is he wearing?
- July – Malaysia Airlines Flight MH-17 crashes in Ukraine, alleged to be shot down. Closest to the nearest 10, how many people were killed?
- August – What significant world anniversary was marked in August?
Picture round 2 – Name these famous celebrities who died in 2014
- September – What was the name of the official charge Oscar Pistorius was found guilty of in September?
- September – Which actress delivered an address to a standing ovation at UN Headquarters in New York City, helping launch the UN Women campaign HeForShe, which calls for men to advocate for gender equality?
- October – A nurse becomes the first person to be infected with the Ebola virus outside West Africa. What was her nationality?
- November – Celebrations were held in Germany in November to mark the 25th anniversary of what?
- November – Who is this?
20.1 What country does the horse come from?
- November – What significant New York building officially opened in November, replacing its predecessor 13 years after the September 11 attacks?
- December – The United Nations Climate Change Conference was held in December in what city?
Picture round 3 – Film Flops
Picture round 4 – Highest grossing films (full names for full points)
- Which of these films was the highest grossing in 2014?
- Peter Cosgrove
- Stanislas Wawrinka
2.1 Rafael Nadal
- Sochi, Russia
5.1 Everything is Awesome
- Kuala Lumpur to Beijing
First picture quiz – Albums
Taylor Swift – 1989; Sia – 1000 Forms of Fear; Chet Faker – Built On Glass; Dan Sultan – Blackbird; Sheppard – Bombs Away; Coldplay – Ghost Stories; Ed Sheeran – X; Paolo Nutini – Caustic Love; Pharrell Williams – GIRL
- Psy’s “Gangnam Style”
- Conchita Wurst
- The Deadly Awards
- World Cup commences
- Vincenzo Nibali
13.1 The Yellow Jersey
- 298 people died including 15 crew members
- The 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War
Second picture quiz – RIPs
Philip Seymour Hoffman; Shirley Temple; Mickey Rooney; Joan Rivers; Robin Williams; Richard Attenborough
- Culpable homicide
- Emma Watson
- The fall of the Berlin Wall
- One World Trade Center
- Lima, Peru
Third picture quiz – Films (flops)
Pompeii; Mr Peabody and Sherman; Edge of Tomorrow
Fourth picture quiz – Films (highest grossing)
Transformers Age of Extinction; Guardians of the Galaxy; Maleficent; Xmen Days of Future Past; The Amazing Spider Man 2; How to Train Your Dragon 2
- Transformers Age of Extinction