I’ve put together the below quiz relating specifically to the world of music in 2014. There are two rounds. The first is general questions and the second is reworded band/artist names that have released albums in 2014. Feel free to steal, share and (obviously) have a go…
Answers follow the questions (no cheating).
Content for 2014 awards may relate to music from 2013
- Who topped the Triple J Hottest 100 poll in January?
- Who released their eighth studio album this year, recorded across eight studios in the USA?
- What was the name of that album?
- Which pop star released an album named after the year she was born in?
- At this year’s Grammys, who took out best album?
- Based on the lyrics of a 2014 pop tune, where would you find George Ezra’s golden grand piano?
- Coldplay collaborated with which dance act on Sky Full of Stars from their album Ghost Stories?
- Lorde was given the duty of curating which movie soundtrack?
- And what was her song and the lead single from that soundtrack?
- It was announced that what festival would not go ahead next year?
- Who won best male artist at this year’s ARIA Awards?
- Splendour in the Grass this year hosted the Australian comeback of which US hip hop group?
- What was the main talking point surround Pharrell’s appearance at the Grammys this year?
- In his collaboration with Mark Ronson on Uptown Funk, which celebrity name does Bruno Mars drop in the first verse?
- Which Aussie rock legend lost a lengthy battle with breast cancer in April?
- Following her death, the Cancer Council NSW launched the breast cancer awareness project featuring Olivia Newton John, Megan Washington, Sarah McLeod, Katie Noonan and Sarah Blasko named what?
- Which veteran international performer played at the AFL Grand Final in September?
- What song was performed to cause Eddie McGuire to have a bit of a whinge?
- According to Lana Del Rey, what do people have down on the West Coast have?
- Whose album released this year most resembles where a pirate would find his treasure?
- What is Chet Faker’s real name?
- Which British headline act pulled out of Big Day Out in January?
- A BBC Music commercial featuring a bevy of big name musicians, including Brian Wilson, Dave Grohl, One Direction and Sam Smith, featured what famous Beach Boys song?
- What innovative (and apparently annoying) way did U2 release their latest album?
- What was the name of that album?
- An aggressive brain tumour took the life of which Aussie rocker in June?
- Having not released an album for 23 years, which rock outfit released their fifth studio album in April?
- The title of Lily Allen’s new album was a dig at which US performer?
- Kasabian released an album titled 48:13, which was a reference to what?
- Which song name drops MJ & Mariah, Nirvana & Aaliyah, R. Kelly & Mary Blige, TLC & Left Eye in its chorus?
- Which two performers – one a male jazz vocalist and the other a female pop star – collaborated on an album Cheek to Cheek?
These are better to race people against (first one to figure it out…)
- Chilly International-Fighting-Conflict Children
- Faster-than-a-jog the expensive-gems
- Take-care-of the population
- Small fire-breather
- Frigid show
- The things-that-hold-trees-into-the-ground
- Where you’d go at work if you needed a band aid
- Deceased rodent
- One twelfth of a minute of the opposite of Winter
- The Red
- Bending-of-the-knees top-of-a-shark
- Not-Kath brazier
- The International Criminal Police Organization
- What an asthmatic would be without a puffer
Answers – Round 1
- Vance Joy
- Foo Fighters
- Sonic Highways
- Taylor Swift
- Daft Punk – Random Access Memories
- The Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 1
- Yellow Flicker Beat
- Big Day Out
- Dan Sultan
- His hat
- Michelle Pfeiffer
- Chrissy Amphlett
- I Touch Myself
- Tom Jones
- They got their icons, their silver starlets, their Queens of Saigons
- Ed Sheeran
- Nicholas James Murphy
- God Only Knows
- It was released digitally to all iTunes Store customers at no cost
- Songs of Innocence
- Doc Neeson
- Kanye West
- The length of the album
- 90’s Music
- Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga
Answers – Round 2
- Cold War Kids
- Run The Jewels
- Foster the People
- Little Dragon
- The Roots
- First Aid Kit
- 5 Seconds of Summer
- La Roux
- Neil Finn
Here are my Top 10 favourite albums of the year!
10. First Aid Kit – Stay Gold
9. Glass Animals – Zaba
8. Pharrell Williams – G I R L
7. Saskwatch – Nosedive
6. Asgeir – In the Silence
5. Highasakite – Silent Treatment
4. Paolo Nutini – Caustic Love
3. Elbow – The Take Off and Landing of Everything
2. Augie March – Havens Dumb
1. Dan Sultan – Blackbird
Here is a quiz I have put together for the news, events and entertainment of 2014. Feel free to take this quiz and share in your class, office, household… There are 23 general questions and 4 picture rounds (click on a picture round to enlarge it). Answers are posted below.
- January – Who was appointed the new Governer-General of Australia in January?
- January – Who is this?
2.1 Who did he beat in the Australian Open?
- February – The XXII Winter Olympic Games were held in which city and country?
- February – The current Ebola outbreak was first registered in February where?
- February – Who is this?
5.1 What was the name of the song that accompanied the Lego Movie?
- March – Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 disappeared when travelling from KL to what city?
Picture Round 1 – Name these 2014 albums and artists
- April – An estimated 276 girls and women were abducted and held hostage from a school in what country?
- May – What music video is the first to reach 2 billion views on YouTube?
- May – Who is this?
9.1 What Country is she from?
- June – In June, due to Coalition budget measures and funding cuts, the annual celebration of Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander achievement in music, sport, entertainment and community ceased. What was the name of this event?
- June – What world sporting event commenced on 12 June?
- July – And in that sporting event, Germany defeated Brazil to make it to the final match by a record final score of what?
- July – Who is this?
13.1 What is he wearing?
- July – Malaysia Airlines Flight MH-17 crashes in Ukraine, alleged to be shot down. Closest to the nearest 10, how many people were killed?
- August – What significant world anniversary was marked in August?
Picture round 2 – Name these famous celebrities who died in 2014
- September – What was the name of the official charge Oscar Pistorius was found guilty of in September?
- September – Which actress delivered an address to a standing ovation at UN Headquarters in New York City, helping launch the UN Women campaign HeForShe, which calls for men to advocate for gender equality?
- October – A nurse becomes the first person to be infected with the Ebola virus outside West Africa. What was her nationality?
- November – Celebrations were held in Germany in November to mark the 25th anniversary of what?
- November – Who is this?
20.1 What country does the horse come from?
- November – What significant New York building officially opened in November, replacing its predecessor 13 years after the September 11 attacks?
- December – The United Nations Climate Change Conference was held in December in what city?
Picture round 3 – Film Flops
Picture round 4 – Highest grossing films (full names for full points)
- Which of these films was the highest grossing in 2014?
- Peter Cosgrove
- Stanislas Wawrinka
2.1 Rafael Nadal
- Sochi, Russia
5.1 Everything is Awesome
- Kuala Lumpur to Beijing
First picture quiz – Albums
Taylor Swift – 1989; Sia – 1000 Forms of Fear; Chet Faker – Built On Glass; Dan Sultan – Blackbird; Sheppard – Bombs Away; Coldplay – Ghost Stories; Ed Sheeran – X; Paolo Nutini – Caustic Love; Pharrell Williams – GIRL
- Psy’s “Gangnam Style”
- Conchita Wurst
- The Deadly Awards
- World Cup commences
- Vincenzo Nibali
13.1 The Yellow Jersey
- 298 people died including 15 crew members
- The 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War
Second picture quiz – RIPs
Philip Seymour Hoffman; Shirley Temple; Mickey Rooney; Joan Rivers; Robin Williams; Richard Attenborough
- Culpable homicide
- Emma Watson
- The fall of the Berlin Wall
- One World Trade Center
- Lima, Peru
Third picture quiz – Films (flops)
Pompeii; Mr Peabody and Sherman; Edge of Tomorrow
Fourth picture quiz – Films (highest grossing)
Transformers Age of Extinction; Guardians of the Galaxy; Maleficent; Xmen Days of Future Past; The Amazing Spider Man 2; How to Train Your Dragon 2
- Transformers Age of Extinction